Saturday, April 26, 2008

Acronyms

Ever wonder why we have to classify ourselves to feel like we belong?

I took my wife and kids to Community Wide Play Day today in Springfield Missouri, there were tons of games and activities for the kids, free food, free books and overall it was a really good time. It got me thinking though, each of the booths, and/or activities were provided by an agency, whether it was Oacac (ozark's area community action corporation) or B.A.C.A (Bikers Against Child Abuse), C.P.O (community partnership of the Ozarks), DCO (Developmental Center of The Ozarks) and I'm just grazing the tip of the iceberg. I'm really not complaining I think it's great these groups put this thing together. Like I said it was alot of fun, and their members support it and volunteer to work it. Alot of people put in alot of time on their own dime today and they should be commended for their work.

The question bouncing around in my head is this: Why do we need these groups? AS a whole I like to think were all good people, and we choose to do the right thing. But why then do we need to have groups outline the right way to raise our children, or groups to point out that child abuse is wrong? These are common sense questions, the answers are simple, we shouldn't need them but unfortunately without them alot of people (mostly kids) would be hurt, neglected, or otherwise put in harms way. At one time we didn't need groups or acronyms to define us and what we stand for. Back then the only acronym we had was U.S.A and we were just defined as Americans. If we all can somehow come together and choose to do the right thing together perhaps we can get back to that.

No comments:

ShadowCast