Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chapter 4: Age level characteristics

I had an Idea going in about the age level characteristics of middle school/ Jr. school students as I remember it so well myself and I also have a very good friend who has a set of twins in eighth grade. I've been talking a lot to him about the significant change in behaviors in the last couple years and specifically this year with his two thirteen year old girls. I've actually been somewhat of a help to him lately because of what i have been learning in this class, in fact just the other day they had an argument and one of them used the "you just don't know what it's like". Repeatedly she had used that one and my friend has tried to tell her he did and had been there. He said he could see her eyes unfocus and knew every time he sounded like Charlie Brown's mom to her. "Wah Wah Wah" and didn't know what to do. So I sent him a few of the links I had found for the student handbooks and told him to get her alone show her the links and explain he was trying to understand and also show her so she could understand that she's not the only one in the world who has ever felt this way. What do you know it worked. The communications they have enjoyed throughout their lives have been reopened and while she is still stressed and having somewhat of a hard time transitioning she understands that what she feels is normal and is trying to deal with it accordingly. My thoughts are they are going to have to stay on top of it and constantly encourage her to keep her from slipping back into the "Woh is me " attitude but I couldn't be more happy about the outcome because it seems I helped and I feel real good about that. It only makes me wish I could get done quicker so I can start helping other student, the whole experience will really help later on I believe.
As far as the text goes I was able to match up the behavior of my own kids with that of the text when it came to the early stages. This is why at least with the younger ones I think Piaget was on to something. Later on i really think that it's one of the "it depends on each child" type things. But as my children grow I'm open to changing that opinion. It remains to be seen. I'm really excited to see schools with the commitment to excellence in not only student performance academically but also with respect to society like the one Derik outlined in his handbook posting. Those are the types of schools who truly produce kids who are ready to succeed at the next level and make a difference. Regardless of whether that next level is work of college. What it's all about is producing and preparing students to making a difference.

No comments:

ShadowCast