Saturday, October 25, 2008

The chapter reading provided alot of information this time around, most in the form of Self control, self-efficacy and self regulation. Each of these feed off each other and all are influenced by a variety of factors. Our parents and peers probably have the most effect on us growing up, encouraging words and family involvement in our everyday lives increase our chances of having a higher self efficacy and in turn increases the likelihood of having higher self regulating skills and self control. My own story mirrors this pretty well, and unfortunately so does my two younger brothers. i had the benefit of having my parents together and involved until late into my teens. Whereas my brothers both had to deal with the divorce and subsequent lack of involvement after and it is quite obvious what the consequence was for them. Low self control, self regulatory systems and low self efficacy. Sad really, but we must overcome what is laid for us. Easy for me to say i know but I'm hopeful for them.
Again the journals are giving me a good place to put all this down for later reference, but honestly i think this one is a bit overboard with everything else we have due this week.
In the discussion this week I thought Jen came up with some great ideas for class and implementing a devils advocate approach to help students reinforce their opinions. i think if you make them defend their position, you solidify it or you break it down, either way they leave with a better understanding of what you are teaching and they are better for the experience.

My school for the week
http://www.tcsd.org/
Would you want to teach in this particular school district?
Yes I think so, I love the area, it's maybe my favorite place on earth, the School system is great and even won some awards last year for excellence.


What makes this school district stand out from others that you found on the Internet?
The area cannot be topped, I've always loved it and if you are happy where you are as well as with what you are doing that's what matters.

  • Are there specific features that this school district has to offer that you hadn't thought of before? What are they? If not, what would you like?

  • I like that the day starts and ends early for middle school 7:40 to 2:35.

  • Would you ever consider applying for a job at this school district? Why or why not?
  • Yes, the pay is outstanding for a teachers salary. Gonna have to check on the cost of living out there.
  • Based on what we've learned so far in this class, how does this school district measure up?
  • Seems to do well, won an award last year for excellence in meeting the requirements set by No Child left behind which is great considering all the money to implement it was left behind.


    No comments:

    ShadowCast