Friday, December 5, 2008

Chapter 15

* A summary of what you have learned from the chapter readings.
It seems standardized tests seem to get a bad name from the word go. I have never really had a problem with them.The problems arise when too much emphasis is place on
them and they are left to be the sole source of assessment and evaluation. I work as a Craftsman Welder/Grinder. I just received a promotion that will begin at the first of the year. I will then be in layout and design. The main reason I got the job was because of my experience. It's not because they have a lack of "Qualified" candidates. The truth is of the last 10 designers they've hired with degrees out of college are clueless. They know what the Auto Cad tells them they need to know. If it tells them they can build a wooden house underwater, they won't blink an eye.
So while I think Standardized tests and curriculum are fine, but they shouldn't be left on an island. Common sense practical ability and ability to use the knowledge you have is more important than the level of knowledge you have.
* Describe how this class has changed you, looking at it from the perspective of becoming a teacher.
This class has opened my eyes to new perspectives on teaching, many of which I would have never considered on the surface, or from just reading the book. I attribute the change more to the discussions and first hand accounts from classmates than from the information in the book.

http://tcmtechnologyblog.blogspot.com/

* Would a blog like this one help you with your teaching?
I can definitely see some aspects of it that could be of use. Just the mention of Google Trends, which I didn't know existed, brings bright flashing lights and all kinds of ideas into my head.
* Would you be able to get ideas for teaching from this blog? How? Why? Explain.
Sure, it seems like a very open area for new ideas, while a lot of it deals with math, much of it can also be applied to other subjects. The trend spotting for one could be used to track any number of things that could affect our economy and hence our governmental practices.
* Did you learn something new from the blogger? What and why did it strike you as memorable?
Yes, what strikes me most is the attitude of "this is supposed to be fun" It seems most teachers miss the boat on that one. Many times it has to be serious and that's OK too, but some of her projects seem like more fun than work, and I just bet the students learn more from the fun stuff.
* Would you want to create a site like this for others? Why or why not?
Absolutely, I have some web design background, but I think I'd like to create something with the students of my class. Let them get involved and possibly even take turns doing posts, or coming up with projects.

No comments:

ShadowCast