Friday, December 12, 2008

Class Reflection

* A summary of what you have learned from the chapter readings.
WE were first introduced to reflective teaching towards the beginning of the class, and it only seems appropriate to revisit after we've learned so much. Reflective teaching to me is more than just a means to an end. It's more than just keeping yourself out of the rut so many teachers fall into. All of us have had that teacher that seems to either hate their job or kids in general, and my thought was always "why do you keep putting yourself through it?" It seems so simple from the outside looking in but I'm sure after years of toil and occasional disrespect it is easy to become bitter and disinterested, especially if you don't get the support and backing of the school. Reflective teaching allows us to constantly evaluate ourselves and see if we are making improvements to our style and not just turning the class into a hour long monolouge
* Describe how this class has changed you, looking at it from the perspective of becoming a teacher.
I Really don't know where to begin except to say that i was quite idealistic coming in, i realized in the beginning that not all kids were going to want to learn the same material i want to, but figured i could turn them because of my enthusiasm for the subject. That still may be the case for some, I certainly hope so it's my best trait, but I'm now constantly trying to come up with alternative avenues of thought for those to whom it is not invigorating and exciting. So I guess the best way to describe how this has changed me is to say, I find myself more open to new ideas.


* Comment on anything new and exciting you have learned from the discussion boards that you feel will help you in becoming a teacher.

I've got to say in trying to come up with something that hadn't already been said in the discussion this week I think i came up with an idea that i will actually use. The idea of the podcast just came out of the blue and while I realize now that I'm not the first person to ever think of it I'm kinda proud to come up with it on my own. Using technology kids are familiar with to help them can only help to show them I am with it and understand them on that level, as well as help them and myself in the classroom.
3. The question for this week is directed at you Ms. Graff. =)
I've looked into several avenues for career choices. I was accepted into the police academy last year and bailed out at the last minute because the Springfield police dept is a train wreck. Budget cuts and retirement cuts have forced so many out I was skeptical it would be stable at all. I always wanted to be a teacher so I choose to follow this path. With reflection being the ending theme I wonder if you would mind explaining your path and how you ended up teaching this and other classes that seem to be outside your area of study? My cousin told me the other day, he has a teaching certificate, that he would sell me his :). He is selling insurance because all of the teaching jobs he interviewed for offered him positions outside of his field of study. In other words he is also a history guy but was offered Algebra classes or P.E classes. I guess I want to know if this is a normal thing or what? I have alot of interests but I can't see myself teaching English or Accounting. Obviously you don't get a degree in Chemistry unless you enjoy it, so my question is not only curiosity but also a concern that this may be a sign of a larger issue I possibly need to be aware of. Thanks so much for your help in the class. Now If i can just keep from bombing the final we'll all be fine. BTW I've made it quite clear my competitive nature, I know my grade thus far. I don't guess you could give me my rank in the class as of now? I'm like this with everything, it's a blessing and a curse. I know I shouldn't even ask but I can't help it.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is so good......

ShadowCast